Undrivable drive

December 3, 2008

I was up before the birds this morning, intending to drive from my home in Hale Barns to Stockport station to catch the 6:44 train to London Euston. The weather had other ideas.

Our 50 foot drive slopes steeply downwards from street level to our front door. My car was parked half way up it, blocking our other two cars in.  I tried to walk up the drive to the car and instantly found myself doing a Torvill & Dean impression, but without the grace and without Ravel’s Bolero in the background. The drive was sheet ice. I teetered under the flecks of falling snow as far as the car, but getting in it with my laptop was an ungainly and undignified process, not to mention risky. I was lucky I didn’t break my neck.

There was no chance of going out again to spray de-icer. I turned the aircon on max, blower on full, heated rear everything, wipers on then waited for the inch-thick layer of knobbly ice on the screen to clear. All the while the seconds were ticking away, and my chances of making my train receding.

The screen finally started to show signs that it would soon be clear enough to see to drive, so into reverse using the rear camera to back uphill out of the drive. Very slowly and gently, but after a few feet the wheels started to slip and the car began to slide forward. I managed to bring it to a halt and ever so carefully tried again. No dice. There was no way it was going to find enough grip to get out of the drive, and all the while the risk of skeetering down the drive and crashing into the other cars.

I left the car, skated back to the house and called a taxi. They told me 7 minutes. I knew I would miss the train, so rang the travel agent’s 24hr emergency number. I explained to the lady on the line that I wanted to switch booking to a later train, but apparently Virgin Rail don’t allow access to their systems out of hours.

I arrived at Stockport to find my outbound ticket was worthless. My firm no longer allow me to book an open return (supposedly to save money) so I had had to book a specific train. I now needed a new outbound ticket – another £180.

The next train, the 7:13 was cancelled. The 7:23 had to carry two trainfulls of people. Even in first class people were standing for the 2.5 hour trip. All seat reservations had been cancelled in the circumstances, which worked out fine for me – I managed to get a seat in the melee. No hot drinks or cooked breakfast because the crew couldn’t get the trolleys through the train. The view out the window was XMAS card scene material. I tried to work but my laptop battery packed up after an hour. I had the computer plugged in but the socket was not working.

I ended up nearly an hour late for my first meeting, and the return leg was slow as well. The train manager told us over the tannoy (while we were near Tamworth) that there would be a delay due to a “defect on the track” and he would announce arrival times “at a future date”. I found his use of the word “date” a mite disconcerting given how the day had gone. The reality wasn’t quite that alarming; we were only 35 minutes late into Stockport.

At least it had been the right kind of snow, or things could have been worse.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: